Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Busy Start




As my school vacation is quickly coming to a close,
I thought I'd share with you a few of the things that I've been busy with over the break.

First there was Christmas!
We had a lovely, low key day with family.
The only bummer was that my son who works at a local grocery store got a shift mid day. 
He was a real trouper about it though and went with a smile. 
We worked around it so as not to dampen any of the day's festivities. 
(Let's just say I'm not a huge fan of things, 
besides the hospital being open on Christmas Day...
I mean come on, you've known it was coming all year long...but I digress)

We all got some fun new things to play with, which is always a nice treat.
My son who works and earns his own money surprised me with this...


I'm a huge fan of The Mentalist and just knowing that
 he worked for it and came up with the idea all by himself makes it that much more special.
Love it!

My husband has been wanting to try his hand at home brewing, so I got him a beer making kit!
First we steeped and boiled.


Then a quick improvise to cool down the wort when we realized
 that the extra large pot didn't fit in our sink!
Ooops!
Thank goodness for a wheelbarrow and lots of ice!



So now it's nestled in a corner busy fermenting away.



Fingers crossed we did everything right.
We should be ready to bottle in less than 2 weeks!

Then....yippee, yippee...home improvement project for the New Year!
Between dogs, kids and just regular wear and tear our bedroom carpet had seen better days.
Bring on the laminate floors!!


Bye-bye stinky old carpet!


Get the sub floor ready.



Hello Allen & Roth


And then there was this score.
A fab mid century dresser with a $29 price tag at Goodwill.
Yes please!
All it needed was a little love and some Danish Oil and she was as good as new!


So pleased with the way it turned out.
And those shelves in the background...another DIY
that we tackled.
Instructions via here.


While I still have a little styling and finishing touches to do, I can't believe what a difference a couple hundred dollars and some elbow grease made!
A wonderfully fresh way to start off the New Year!

So while I may not have spent as much time in the kitchen as I had hoped for, 
I sure got a lot accomplished.

I hope that you all enjoyed a wonderful Holiday season,
 and may the New Year bring all kinds of great things!


8 comments:

Annette said...

Happy New Year, Meeling!
Wow, your bedroom looks fantastic!! Would you guys come and do mine, lol!!
What a thoughtful and special gift from your son! That was a proud mama moment for sure.
Sounds like making the beer was fun. I hope it turns out for you after all the work!

Almost Precious said...

Meeling, I applaud you and your hubs for your ingenuity. Using the wheelbarrow for an ice bucket was truly clever.

I love your home improvement projects. The flooring looks fabulous and what an amazing twenty-nine dollar treasure ! Your bedroom has a lovely, serenity about it, a room that invites you to curl up with a good book or to take a relaxing break from a hectic day with a short but refreshing nap. I'm sure you are enjoying its new spruced up appearance.

Additionsstyle said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family over the holidays. Happy New Year!

What a great gift from your son. I love The Mentalist as well and that is a great shirt.

Your bedroom turned out fantastic! I love the floor, the shelves, and the great dresser you found.

What a great start to your new year.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

lisaroyhandbags said...

That's what I call a productive break! I thought holidays were for vegging on the couch eating holiday baking...no? Love the new floors and the shelves are really cool!

Kelly said...

Wow! The flooring looks amazing! And that dresser is an awesome find! I never find cool furniture like that at thrift stores. Good for you!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

WOW!!! You did get a lot done :)

Your bedroom looks amazing and I LOVE the flooring :)

I'm a HUGE Mentalist fan too, your shirt is perfect and your son awesome to be so inspired :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Cheers, T. :)

Handmade in Israel said...

Your bedroom looks amazing! You got so much done in your break. Well done to your son too for getting it so right for his Mom!

Amy said...

These floors look amazing! I have so much to do in this old house, and these pics make me want to get back to fixing it up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...